International – Papua New Guinea / Malawi Africa
P.O. Box 60150 Ndirande Bt. 6 Blantyre Malawi /
P.O. Box 233 - Mt Hagen (WHP) Papua New Guinea
Missionary / Evangelist:  Peter A. Halliman


Date:   14th July 2019

Dear Pastor, Church, Supporters;

Lu 8:41 And, behold, there came a man named Jairus, and he was a ruler of the synagogue: and he fell down at Jesus' feet, and besought him that he would come into his house:
Lu 8:42 For he had one only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she lay a dying. But as he went the people thronged him.
Lu 8:43 And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,
Lu 8:44 Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.

I have referenced the above Scriptures in light of some physical detainments that I have faced recently.  More and more I am given a different angle on GOD’S Sovereignty and loving kindness.

I recently wrote a short mission report on a physical condition that I was faced with and required immediate surgery to correct.  The condition was determined to have developed some time ago in the past, a tear in my gut lining and fluid leaching into a tube, into one of my testicles.  This condition produced fluid and swelling, it was also found that there was twisting of a spermatic cord which could only be repaired by surgery.

I will outline the ‘physical conditions’ that I was placed under, not to solicitate any sympathy or feeling that is unwarranted, however to graphicly depict the Sovereignty of God, HIS endless mercy and vastness of Love for HIS people.

I would challenge any reader of these reports to remove all security measures placed within your life, and cast yourself upon the LORD, the Immanuel, the Risen Saviour, our Jehovah GOD and LORD, and step into an arena where only the nakedness of your ‘faith’ is all you have to hang on to.

Three weeks ago, I arrived in Mt. Hagen and this is when I detected the physical awareness of my condition. Not having health Ins, nor knowing any doctor here in PNG I began to do my own research to determine where and when, measures should be put into place to establish this. 

There is a place about an hour’s drive East of Mt. Hagen where a mission hospital is located, it is a private hospital meaning, not operated by the Government, or any private company.  It is owned, operated and financed by the Nazarene church here in PNG.  The basics, they have, the necessities are available, and everything becomes relative when things are viewed in the light of eternity and our LORD.

I went to see a doctor and the system followed here is first come first serve, when the pre-entry requirements are met and a doctor is to meet with you, again several ‘general practitioners are on duty, its simply who you are called by as to which, doctor you see at the time.

I followed protocol and after an hour of diagnosing the young doctor from PA, determined that I had a Hydrocele with a testicular torsion.  We went immediately to the office of the surgeon, a young lady from CA.  She was three weeks in the country and barley over jet-leg.

After another examination and ultrasound, the surgeon suggested surgery immediately, I weighed the situation and felt that I was neither physically, nor mentally prepared at that moment to go directly into surgery.

In a developed country, things are different, communications work, someone is usually there with you, family member and or friend who can pick up the communications and everything else that goes with that preparation and organization.  I had neither, though there were two men with me, one is limited in his knowledge of English, has no computer skills, the other man (his brother) does not speak English, has no tech knowledge or ability to convey this.  I had not spoken with my family, or my pastor or any one person who may be able to help in the event things were to worsen.

I was the only driver at the moment and these two men were on my ticket, I had set nothing in order at the home where I stay with the family, and besides all this I was told that I would be three days in-ward before released.

We agreed that the following week on Tue I would be prepared to come in for surgery, this was now Wed, so I had five days to prepare. 

As I drove back to Mt. Hagen township, my mind went many places in terms of what to do.  I was instructed that I should prepare a blanket, bed-sheet, pillow, some curtain type material for any privacy that I would want, and of course personal items.

I had thoughts of flying to the Capital city, Port Moresby but this would involve more expense and money I did not have.  There were thoughts about all the (what ifs) isn’t this just human nature? And that is exactly what I am talking about with GOD’S Sovereignty, there are no (what ifs, no buts, no maybes, no could have or should have) all that goes right out the window when you ready (Daniel 4:35) “And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?”

I put out notice to family, and close supporters, it was committed to prayer and time to stand upon those prayers and faith in GOD.

The next few days I prepared the groceries and supplies that I would need whilst I was recovering.  The family I stay with here in Mt. Hagen (a local family) I have a small bedroom, the accommodations are adequate, the bathroom is outside, and bathing involves heating the bath water, a cup and five-gallon bucket does the job well enough.

Sunday the 7th I preached at the local church here, over one hundred present, the LORD blessed our worship and gave great liberty, though no one made a profession, the Word was presented without fear or favour.  The message was “If you think you have problems, sit in Job’s place”! 

Tuesday the 9th I was up early, and we departed home at 06:30 hrs and arrived at the hospital.  I met with the Anaesthesiologist and shared a story that took place in Malawi Africa years ago during an accident that I was involved in and required surgery, they administered enough anaesthesia to put me under but not enough to knock me out so I could feel the surgeon but couldn’t wake up to stop or tell anyone.  I explained that I did not want to duplicate that experience again.  His name was David and he assured me that he would make sure that I was ok. 

The lead surgeon came in to have prayer with me before he started, his name is Ben and it was not long until I was out and the next, I knew was I was in recovery and trying to awake out of the medication.

I was met by David and he explained that the surgery was a success, and everything was repaired but it would take some days for full recovery.

 After three hours I was released to go home, the blessings of the LORD, there is a woman (national) who is a registered nurse and had worked at this hospital for some seven years, so she knew most of the staff.  The doctor had met with her and gave her all the instructions that I would need to know with the medication.

She took me back home in her vehicle as it was lower and more comfortable then the Land Rover.  Soon I was home and needed to lie down, the nurse (Pricilla) went with Bro. Hepe to town to get some icepacks and the other brother (Samson) stayed home with me.

I had not eaten in two days so the heavy medication and with my blood-sugar having dropped I became nauseated, the need to vomit was upon me and as I called Samson to assist me, he helped me to sit and he ran to collect a bucket, the next thing I knew he and other members of the family were all around me wailing and trying to get my attention.  I had simply passed out and fell out of the chair on the concrete floor.  I was not hurt only that it put a panic in the family as not one of them have any education or medical experience except the nurse who is related to the wife of Pastor Hepe.

Soup was prepared and tea and I was given some fresh air outside, soon all was well and simply had to follow the healing process and take the medication.

 It is eight days later, and I went to the doctor for a check-up today and he gave a good report saying everything is healing normally and in fact says I am ahead of schedule (I wonder where that came from?)!

I asked questions that I did not get to before, so one question was could this problem return, his reply…” the chances are very minute”, the tear was repaired, and all seemed to be well. 

I am simply to finish my antibiotics and change the dressing until completely healed.

I am able to drive, and perform most of my daily functions, excluding hard labour or strenuous exercise for a couple weeks yet.

This will conclude this report and bring you up to date on my situation, once again the LORD has performed another miracle, at least for me HE has!

I will start preparing this week to go to the mission station, I am still packed and have not yet reached home since the 11th of June.  It will be good to be home, sleep in me own bed and bathe in me own bathroom, and I am not comparing to staying in a hotel on the road, that would be a nice treat.

The GOD of true Love and everlasting compassion, HE who is full of mercy has touched my body and given me a great deliverance and healing.

I want to thank each of you, who lifted up prayers to the Throne of Grace on my behalf, it was a great relief to know that I had prayer warriors standing in the ‘gap’ praying for me.  I had great peace about all this, and cannot say enough about the assurance that this gives a child of GOD to know and feel the prayers of GOD’S people.


In His Name,

Missionary Peter Halliman