TEL. 265-999-741-007 or 265-888-751140 (mobile)
Missionary / Evangelist: Peter A. Halliman
Email: / or

Date: 18th Nov 2011 [Part 10]

Dear Pastor, Church & all Supporters;

(Col 4:2) ¶ “Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;”

(Col 4:3) “Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:”

21st August 2011 [Sun]

The LORD’S Day was started at 0600 hrs, whilst going over my notes, Hepe had the coffee going and some fried sweet potato chips for breakfast with fresh ginger. The morning was beautiful, wet and fresh after a hard nights rain, we don’t have the exotic and dazzling sun rises and sun sets in PNG like Africa due to the fact that most of the dust is cleaned out of the air with the tremendous rain storms from day to day. The brilliant colours of the sunrises and sets are made up from the amount of dust particles filtering through the air and as the sunrays shine upon the earth these dust particles cast shades of colour.

We had our breakfast, and prepared for church, being on the mission station we were able to dress a bit more accommodating as compared to the bush life. The church bell was sounded, Bro. Kendo had already had a busy morning and had returned from the hike up to the other church, held services and returned. We assembled for church services and as I sat there in the front seeing the folks sit on the concrete floor and my wife sitting over on the side of where the women sit (though she was sitting in one of our dinning table chairs) I was taken back through time, remembering when dad was the one standing preaching where I was now posted, and it was mum who was seated there with the girls, and my two brothers and I were seated on the side of the men. Each reader who has reached middle age or older and grown up in church can all tell their own stories and have fond memories of where they grew up. There is always a special appreciation for where our roots were and a special love for that area.

The opening prayer, and song service led to my being summoned to preach the morning hour service. I did so and though it felt like I had only preached fifteen minutes when, I had preached for over an hour.

Afterwards we had some great fellowship with many who attended the services that day. There was a particular Duna man whom I have known for years, he was in the early days employed by the Australia DC to work as a Policeman, and after PNG became Independent, the government continued to rely upon his strength as the son of a great Tribal Chief who had great influence among his people. Therefore, through the years he has been a great help to the community and government. I said all that to say this, he was strongly influenced as a young man by my father. He came up to me after exiting the building and simply stating weeping, a man in his late sixties. After regaining composure he began to reveal to me how he seen my wife sitting up there in the front and I standing preaching, and he too was taken back through time, when he was a young man attending church services and seeing dad preaching with mum sitting where no my wife sat. He testified how the LORD was merciful and gracious to HIS people, in sending a missionary with the Gospel to preach to him and his people whilst they were primitive, unlearned, and with nothing. How God had loved HIS people with such an everlasting love that even the oceans and jungle could not detain the Gospel from being preached to God’s Elect. So long ago, and in such a far away land, there lay a pocket of people whom God had ordained for HIS ELECT.

We spent the rest of Sunday afternoon enjoying a lovely day at the Tanggi mission station, resting as what God planned for HIS people on HIS day. I have faced all kinds of arguments through the years in my ministry regarding the LORD’S DAY, [remember it doesn’t belong to you, whomever you are!] I will present a simple illustration that I have faced for years here in Africa that preamps the afore statement.

Many times in sending one of my workers or the house boy to the market to make a purchase on some food items, due to a ‘convenient, I don’t know the amount’ of the said items, I would send enough to cover the cost of transport as well as what I needed. When the worker returned, I would have what I sent him to purchase, but would have no change returned. I would keep silent, until I, myself had a chance to check out the local prices for the food items, when learning that it was much cheaper then I had been told, I learned that the person had taken advantage of what did not belong to them. They took liberty with someone else’s money when they had no authority to do so. At the time of confession, the stories would be multiple-choice (pick one) of which you want to believe. The preamp is this, the servant is not the Lord, and the money is not free for the servant to do as he wishes. So too, I have learned that many Christians will arbitrarily argue that they are justified in doing some domestic chores in the house, or in the workshop. The fact is, the LORD’S DAY is HIS DAY, not ours, God never gave liberty for HIS people to decide on their own what they were going to do with HIS DAY! You may disagree with me again, but let out your money to someone, giving him or her specific instructions for its usage and when they have spent it wrongly, just keep quite as they have ‘the liberty’!

21st Aug 2011 [Mon]

This day started at the magic hour (0400 hrs), today would be a travel day to the other mission station which had been established back in the early 80’s first by my father and then I later had went back to PNG and set up home there. This place is called Nogoli.

We packed up and since we already had most of our things in backpacks it didn’t’ take long to tidy the sleeping bags, tent, some food etc…

This friend of mine ‘Yawas’ the one who assisted us with his Toyota Land Cruiser, had agreed to take us to Nogoli to the Bible Conference which had been scheduled some time back, even whilst I was still in Malawi. This in fact was the Bible Conference, which they had wanted me to be present, and now we were packed and ready to travel.

As we loaded the vehicle, tied the baggage and some of the older men boarded we set off for Nogoli, about fifty road miles, but will take about three hours to arrive due to road conditions.

By and by we arrived at the Nogoli mission station, the house, which remains, is simply a skeleton of a house, meaning – the entire house has been gutted and only the outside remains. Through the years of my absence things have been stolen and it has become what it is today. Being much lower in elevation it does get hot, enough for coconuts to grow. I had planted several trees back in the 80’s and now they tower above the house some fifty or sixty feet high and are producing coconuts.

Since Monday was a transit day and others were still coming in we simply took the rest of the day to set up what we would call ‘camp in house’. I set up our tent inside the house, as I stated there was nothing in there except hardwood floors, walls, and a roof. All the plywood had been stolen so it was basic. There was a water tank still working so we had fresh water, the toilet area had recently been dug and housed so that was new for us.

A man by the name of Andi Taiya, whom served my father, faithfully as a helper with domestic chores, and later in the mission work, also assisted me when I went back there in the 80’s to 90. A good man, who has held the work together in that area, though he is a Duna man he has laboured among the Huli people for the past thirty years. He is like a brother to me, and we used to look after each other when I was there full time. We were greeted by many and welcomed with a Traditional Mumu for dinner. Though it may not be delightful to some of the ‘western world’ for me I enjoy it, and so did my wife.

The rest of the day we fellowshipped with God’s people and I discussed much with the men regarding the conference program and certain subjects which would need to be addressed.

The day was spent and night approached us, with this area being malaria infested we took precautions as to our wear.

Those who had been in transit had arrived and we were all set to start the conference tomorrow. It had been a full day and we felt like we had been blessed by others bearing gifts to welcome us. I often am made to feel humbled when a people who have so little are so willing to part with ‘things’ in order to welcome or accommodate you, whom ever you are.

The rains had settled in, and the temp had cooled off, we called it a day and blew out the candles.

To be continued...

Missionary Peter A. Halliman